lundi, décembre 27, 2010

Moscow



Dear Blog,


I came to Moscow all the way from Des Moines (Iowa) by first class plane from American Airlines. I can't remember how many hours I stayed on that plane but it was more than 10 hours. I arrived on December 2nd so I have had time to visit. All I could see in the streets were people dressed in fur coats.




There I visited the House on Embakment by Boris Iofan at night  which is an apartment house in downtown Moscow and  is magnificent at night with all the lights. 


I also visited the Cathedral of Christ the Savior which is a church in Moscow standing on the edge of the Moskva River. The interior of the cathedral is fascinating with painted walls and a gold cross in the back of the room.


There is also St. Basil's Cathedral which is a Russian Orthodox cathedral based on the Red Square in Moscow. I think it's my favorite building in Moscow.



The Spasskaya Tower is also a monument I visited. The main tower with a through-passage which has a view on Red Square. It stands just in front of  St. Basil's Cathedral. The tower is 71 meters high. Last August the icon of Savior Smolensky was restored and in 1935 the Soviets substituted the two-headed eagle with a red star.


While I was in Moscow I ate a blini, pirozhkis, borshch, pelmeni and smetana and other delicious food.


During these four days I slept in the Cosmos hotel in Moscow for $97 a night (2947 Roubles). I like Moscow; it's a very intriguing and big city. Yesterday I found out that Moscow is the largest city in Russia! 

1 commentaire:

  1. What an interesting tour of the city of Moscow. You made me want to go back there.

    RépondreSupprimer